

**Dynamic Coalition on Accessibility and Disability  
Extra Ordinary Meeting.**

**Thursday March 2 2023**



**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Good morning, good afternoon, good evening to everyone here. Thanks so much for coming to this call. I also wanted to mention that I seem to be having a problem with one of my email servers that sends out email, so I had problems sending out reminders to this, which I try to duly send out, last night and this morning, but hopefully, that won't be a problem.

And also, on that email, I had put forward my nomination for Dr. Shabbir to be our coordinator for the DCAD. And so, I think that's also what I put out. Thanks. Dr. Shabbir?

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Thank you, Judith. Thank you very much. Hi, everyone. This is Dr. Muhammad Shabbir speaking, for the record. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening, everyone, from wherever you have joined us in this Extra Ordinary Meeting of the Dynamic Coalition on Accessibility and Disability. My personal thanks to all of those who have joined, though we have quite a small number.

First, we will do a quick roll call. You just have to say your name, your affiliation, and a couple of sentences, if you want to say about yourself.

**ANDREA SAKS:** Dr. Shabbir, Lidia's hand is up.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** I will do the housekeeping after roll call.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Lidia?

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** If you have something to say prior to the roll call? Or you can go first even.

**LIDIA BEST:** Okay. Good morning, afternoon, evening, whoever, you know, what time you are on. First of all, actually, we should have an acceptance on the agenda. We should have for our minutes, but who, if anybody has objections or whatsoever, so we move on with our agenda. I believe nobody has objections, unless somebody does. And then we can move on with Dr. Shabbir and the roll call. Thank you!

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Oh, okay. I thought, Shabbir, I thought you usually do the agenda after the roll call. But that's fine.

**ANDREA SAKS:** No, it's Lidia's correct.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Oh, okay.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** So, any objections to the agenda? We have actually two points. One would be to discuss the Governance document for the Dynamic Coalition on Accessibility and Disability. Second would be to elect or select a leader for the DCAD.

And any other business, if we have time, I have two points.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Yes, I just posted it into the chat.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** And Judith, so nicely, has pasted the agenda into the chat as well. So, any objections to the agenda?

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** No, there is no objection.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Hearing none, the agenda for today's meeting is adopted. Lidia, do you want to move forward with your introduction in the roll call?

**LIDIA BEST:** Yes. I'm Lidia Best and officially representing G3iCT, but we have a President representing them today. I am a delegate to G3ict, and Vice Chair at the International Telecommunication Union. Thank you.

**ANDREA SAKS:** Shall I go next?

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Please do.

**ANDREA SAKS:** Okay. I am Andrea Saks, Chairman of the Joint Coordination Activity on Accessibility in Human Factors. I also coordinate through the ITU through the Intersector Group for the T Sector. I am the Coordinator for accessibility to all the sectors, including the D, which is a Development sector, the R, which is the Radio and Satellite and Telecommunications I mean, Television sector and also the T sector, which is in Standardization. And the boss is down there! Because I represent G3ict as well. So, Axel is there! He's going to keep an eye on us, Lidia!

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Yes, Axel.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Yes, thank you, Andrea. Axel, do you want to go next?

**AXEL LEBLOIS:** Yes, I'm Axel Leblois. Good afternoon, and good evening, everyone. I've been with G3ict for the past six years, and I'm very happy to see that DCAD is beginning some good life and as always is very supportive of DCAD for the long term. So, we already look forward to the new activities of the coalition.

I had a scheduled activity this morning here in the U.S. so that I won't be able to stay too long, but Lidia and Andrea are strong PRs in this capacity and I will definitely rely on them to drive our support for the DCAD.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Thank you, Axel! We really appreciate you taking the time out of your schedule and joining us today on this call. Deirdre, do you want to go next?

**DEIRDRE WILLIAMS:** Hi, everyone. I'm Deirdre. Most people know me as Dee because my name is difficult, Williams. And I'm in the Caribbean, in St. Lucia. I'm really independent. I'm not particularly affiliated with anybody, but I've worked with DCAD for quite a long time now because I'm very anxious that the position of the end users be fully understood, especially in places like here, where very often, they are not understood. Thank you.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Thank you, Dee. We really appreciate different input from users, end users like yourself. Judi, do you want to go now?

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Are you talking about Judi (?)

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** My screen is showing someone with the name of Judi who has joined.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Right. I think that's Judi Okite. Judi?

**JUDY OKITE:** Yes, it's me. Thank you, Shabbir. Hi, everybody, I'm Judi from Nairobi, Kenya. I have been with DCAD or worked along with DCAD for quite a number of years, and I'm excited that we are here to make sure that DCAD gets back on track. Thank you.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Thank you, Judi. Andy Heath, do you want to introduce yourself?

**ANDY HEATH:** Yeah. I'll just show my video, in case anybody's lip reading, then I'll turn it off afterwards. Worked in technical standards for accessibility for 20 plus years

**ANDREA SAKS:** You have to face the camera! We can't see your lips.

**ANDY HEATH:** Well, I'm trying to face the camera, but I'm working on my iPad. It's kind of weird. Is that facing the camera? Does that work?

**ANDREA SAKS:** Yeah, but the light's bad. We have captioning. Don't worry.

**ANDY HEATH:** Okay, okay. Is that any better?

**ANDREA SAKS:** Yes! But no, now it's not. There! But now turn to the right.

**ANDY HEATH:** It's really hard.

**ANDREA SAKS:** There you go. There you go!

**ANDY HEATH:** Okay? It's really hard because I can't see my video at the same time, you know. Location of cameras and so on. And screens and so on.

Okay, so, I've worked in accessibility standards for over 20 years. I'm chair of the National Accessibility for ISO and IEC and many other places, in the UK. I think all my main activities are around getting a user needs model accepted, working with a medical model. And most of my work is in ISO, IES, SC35 and some bits in IEC and in BSI, which is our national standards organization in the UK. Thank you.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Thanks, Andy. Derrick, would you want to go now?

**DERRICK COGBURN:** Sure, thank you. I am Derrick Cogburn. It's good to see everybody. It's been a very long time. I am a professor at American University. I'm also our Founding Executive Director of the American University Institute on Disability in Public Policy. I also am the Faculty Co director of our Internet Governance Lab, have been working in Internet governance since the early days, the mid '90s. I have studied a lot of the transitions around Internet governance and a lot of the civil society involvement, and I'm happy to say that it's very exciting for me to see the DCAD being re energized. The DCAD was one of the earliest Dynamic Coalitions and has had one of the biggest impacts on the agenda in IGF, so I'm really happy to see this. And it's documented, Andrea, so I'm really glad to see this resurgence. So, happy to help in any way that I can.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Thank you very much, Derrick. And I am sure in the years and the days, as we move forward with the rejuvenation of DCAD, I can say with complete certainty that we will definitely take you up on this offer. I believe we are all introduced.

We have captioner Ellen. Thank you very much for joining us today and doing the captioning for this call. Is there anyone left who is not introduced?

**ANDREA SAKS:** Judith!

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Yes, Judith! My bad. Judith, please go ahead.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Hi, I'm Judith Hellerstein. I wear many hats, been working with DCAD since the very beginning. I think Andrea brought me in. And I also work on accessibility issues in many different accessibility organizations that I'm leading and advocating. Been advocating for captioning and accessibility benefits in many different places at the State Department, on the ITU conferences, following Andrea's lead, then in ICANN and ISOC. So, we are working with ISOC organizations, accessibility special interest group, a project of ISOC New York, as well as the Accessibility Standing Group. And I have led disability organizations and ICANN and other groups. But that's just one of my hobbies. I really work on development and technical assistance and assisting on policies and regulations.

I also try to put disability issues in all the policies that I write as well. That's the short overview of me, and on to Shabbir.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Thank you, Judith. I just have to mention, I think it would be a great injustice to Judith if I did not mention that she was one of the persons who have been working with me all through these days while we were coordinating for this meeting, as well as to resurrect this.

I believe we are done with the roll call. Thank you very much, everyone, for introducing yourself. Let's move to the first point in, substantive point in our agenda, which is the Governance document.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Right. I reposted it into the agenda for the late people.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Yes. So, we have a link. In the efforts to resurrect DCAD, we thought that the Governance documents that Andrea has been working, she is

still looking for the document, and if we can find that document, we will definitely incorporate.

In the recent months, the months of January and February, we talked to some of the other Dynamic Coalitions. And the Coalition on Internet Standards, TOT and stability, IES3C, they have dropped the word "Dynamic Coalition." They have changed it to coalition on Internet standards, stability and security, in 2020. Their governance documents was one of the interesting documents, and I thought that this is something that DCAD can also adopt. Judith, can you just for the record sake and for the audience information, who may not have a look at that document, briefly tell us what is in the document?

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Okay, sure. I have now shared it on the Zoom. Let me just get the oh, okay. So, hold on a minute. Let me just... hold on. Let me just get it on the screen. Okay. So, I assume you're seeing this document here.

So, what it is is that Governance document. We spoke to three different governance groups, Dynamic Coalitions. And after our third, this one was the most comprehensive and the most easy to adopt. And, oh, this is not the link. This is just you have to download the file. So sorry about that. Lidia, you have your hand up.

**LIDIA BEST:** I was about to say that.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Okay.

**LIDIA BEST:** If you need the file, yeah.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Jolly sent me the wrong one. That's not that's there's another document where it just brings you up the entire one. We'll go to that. But basically, I'll summarize it. Basically, it says that, in their ones, they have



a they're mostly a research and policy oriented group. And so, they have six different working groups, but not all working groups are active. And they're actually doing actual research.

But what their structure is, is they're based on a two person Secretariat. One is a coordinator and one is a policy advisor, because most of their work is policy. And then they have chairs of the working group who form their Leadership Committee. Now, the Leadership Committee, some of the working groups were not active. I think they only have three active ones right now because they raise funds for each of the working groups for the research that they commission. So, they're commissioning actual research.

But laughing aside, we can adopt what they have. What their method is, is that at their meetings or other things, they put out information about what their plans are, and then ask people if they have any comments. And if they hear no comments, then it's accepted, and they ask people if they have any objections. And if they hear no objections, then it's also accepted. And so, that is the base of well, they also the Secretariat is funded through their donations, so they take a 10% funding from every grant they receive for the Secretariat and for their functions.

Sometimes their grants allow extra funding on those and sometimes they don't. But each of the working groups is independent, but they report to the Secretariat. So, the people who are on the call are mostly who manage all the calls are the coordinator and the policy advisor.

Even though they have lots of funding from different government agencies, they do not have a separate treasurer. I mean, they don't have separate bank accounts. They're not incorporated. So, the end, they have no they're not fiscally sponsored, so they intermingle their bank accounts, which is not really a good idea, but we're not going to have that would be the thing we wouldn't adopt, because we actually have the we actually have a joint bank account with the Accessibility Special Interest Group who houses the Secretariat.

Yes, you do. Andrea, it's either in "More" or it's in "Reactions."

**ANDREA SAKS:** Nope! Ah, got it! Got it! I beg your pardon. Thank you.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Okay, where was it? It was in "Reactions"?

**ANDREA SAKS:** Yes.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Yes, that's where it usually is. For some reason, I can't raise my hand because I'm hosting it, so the host can never raise their hand, a virtual hand. They can raise the physical hand, but not a virtual hand. But Andrea?

**ANDREA SAKS:** Yes. I wanted to raise my hand because what I thought if I read the agenda correctly was that we were going to choose who was going to be the chairman.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Exactly.

**ANDREA SAKS:** And then we were going to go into the agenda. So, not that I mind the way you're doing it, but is that am I not correct?

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Andrea, first we were going to decide the governance model and structure, and then we are going to talk about the leader or the coordinator.

**ANDREA SAKS:** Okay, sorry. Dyslexia reigns. Sorry, I misunderstood.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** No worries, Andrea. So, just to add on to what Judith was describing. The decision making model is, as Judith explained, that they put a proposal before their membership, and if they don't receive a formal objection to that, they adopt the proposal. If there are any objections, they have a five step and then six to ten step model of resolving the disputes or any objections that arise in the course of time. I'm not saying that we totally adopt this governance document as the governance document for the Dynamic Coalition on Accessibility and Disability. What my proposal here is that we use this document as a base one to draft the governance document for Dynamic Coalition on Accessibility and Disability.

For this, I would need a volunteer who could lead this governance document, who could coordinate all the activity around the document. We would definitely invite suggestions and input from the members as well. If there are any questions or comments before we talk about adopting this agenda and how to move forward. Are there any questions?

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Deirdre has her hand raised.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Yes, Deirdre, please.

**DEIRDRE WILLIAMS:** Hello, again. With the decision making, I think you need to have a defined period for receiving objections. And that's always a little bit ticklish because not everybody has access all of the time. I don't know if you've thought about that. And the other thing that always concerns me is the issue of making facilitating DCAD to receive funding without DCAD having proposals of projects which might need to be funded. Thank you.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Deirdre, question for that.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Judith, do you want to take this question?

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Yes, yeah.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Okay.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** So, yes, I think we do need a timeline, and I think we were remiss in saying not stating that. I believe they also have a timeline, and I think usually they give a certain amount of time, a period for people to make their response, and then they close off, and then they remind people, and then they close off.

But the other thing is, we do have, as for bank accounts, we are fiscally the Accessibility Special Interest Group, which houses the Secretariat of the DCAD, is fiscally sponsored, has his own bank account and has his non profit status. So, we can receive funding and grants and all types of things directed to our bank account. And we code the money as DCAD in our coding system. And that is the money where we receive the grants from Vint Cerf in there.

**ANDREA SAKS:** And Google.

**DEIRDRE WILLIAMS:** I was aware of that.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** I'm not sure if they come from Vint personally or comes from Google.

**ANDREA SAKS:** Comes from Google. It's Vint's budget, but Google is sponsoring Vint, and it's part of his budget, which he contributes to us. Apart.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Okay. I just wasn't clear on that, so.

**ANDREA SAKS:** When it's money, I'm always clear.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Yes. We did speak to Vint also, before he apologizes that he couldn't be on the call, as he had a conflict.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Yes, I can speak on that. I was thinking of doing it later, but since the topic is brought up now, I think it's better to talk about this here.

Last week, I had a good chat with Vint. He was so gracious to give me some time and talk about Dynamic Coalitions rejuvenation and he supports that idea of rejuvenating not just with words, but with action. And he has been providing the Dynamic Coalition on Accessibility and Disability with funding previously as well, and he has said that he can continue supporting the DCAD financing. So, a big thanks, though he is not here with us today, but we feel his support behind us and with us. So, I just wanted to make this point. Any questions or points here?

**ANDREA SAKS:** Yep, yep.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Yes.

**ANDREA SAKS:** I wanted to say something about that, Shabbir. He clarified something. He has no restrictions on what you do with the money. He says you can fund somebody to go, whether they have a disability or not. For instance, there was an issue before where people were saying and I think Judith will remember, we had this little transaction we talked about this, that people who didn't have a disability, for instance, could not be funded to attend IGF. That is not the case. So, he has no restrictions on how you do it, as long as you have group consensus.

And if I could interject at this point. There are two kinds of group consensus. You can restrict the group consensus to people who attend the meetings or do it through a mailing list. And I think there has to be differentiation between which path you choose or if you choose one or both. If people do not participate, should they have a right to vote? If people who attend the meetings can't always attend the meetings, then perhaps that's so. But this may not be clarified today, but I think that's something that we have to look at, and that was what I wanted to say, and about the fact that Vint said he had no restrictions on how you guys use the money.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Right, yes. And then he also said and thank you so much, Andrea. This is Judith Hellerstein, for the record. He also said that we could also use the money for any of the Secretariat functions that we need, that it's for anything that DCAD needs to run as DCAD. And DCAD can choose how it wants to spend the money.

**ANDREA SAKS:** (?) Secretariat is necessary.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Right. Lidia, you have your hand up.

**LIDIA BEST:** Thank you. Muhammad, Lidia here. Muhammad mentioned that he's looking for volunteers to help to draft the actual governance document related to how we want to run DCAD. I'm happy to support this. I'm putting my hand up for a while. Thank you.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Thank you, Lidia, and I'm happy to help you out, too. We also have Codes of Conduct that we have drafted. I will also send you at the IGF USA several years ago, we wrote a very comprehensive Codes of Conduct because we had several issues with

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Judith, sorry, I have to stop you here.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Okay.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** We will talk about Code of Conduct in a later part of our meeting, if we have the time.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Okay. I thought that was part of Governance, so.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** No. This Code of Conduct is part of Governance, but we would need a separate team to work on that. We cannot put everything on a single team or a single person.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Okay.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Here I want to thank Lidia for raising her hand up to volunteer to lead this group. Lidia, I would suggest, although I would not direct this group, that you study this document of IS3C coalition, see what can be adopted and what have to be dropped from this document. Draft a document based on Andrea's comments as well. I think for different situations, we would have to have both the governance decision making models. We cannot just adopt one and say that we are dropping the other one. In different situations, depending upon what kind of decision making it is, I believe we would have to use votes. So, I will not deliberate this why and what situations. I leave this to the group.

Any person who wants to volunteer for this group is welcome to contact Lidia Best, who would be the leader, sort of, volunteer leader in this group to draft this governance document. And then, once we have a working draft, we will share that with the Dynamic Coalition and seek inputs and comments, and we would incorporate those comments as well. Any objections here?

**DEIRDRE WILLIAMS:** Before you go to objections, if Lidia needs help, I'm willing.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Great.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Thanks, Dee! Great! She does. Definitely, she does. Without asking her, I can say that she does need help.

**ANDREA SAKS:** I already typed her and said I would give her a hand, too.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Yeah, and I also said I would help out, too, so, we have a team.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** So, and this is an all ladies team, though. Just wanted to make a point there. Thank you, ladies! Any objections? Or comments? Hearing none, I think the proposal is adopted. Lidia, this is your baby now. Shall we move to the second point of the agenda in today's call?

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Yes.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Which is the so

**ANDREA SAKS:** Can you read what the agenda is, please? Because my screen's too small to put it up.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Judith, could you do the honors?

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Definitely. Okay. Second agenda item it is the third agenda item?



**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** It would be the third, yes.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Right. Approving a leader for DCAD. We announced a call for nominations of DCAD Chair/Coordinator. Any DCAD member can nominate themselves or others for this position prior to or during the meetings. In case of multiple candidates, an election will be held. The methodology for election, if required, will be discussed during the meeting. And then, again, if people weren't on the call earlier, I was nominating Dr. Shabbir to be our Coordinator for DCAD.

**ANDREA SAKS:** I second that!

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Thank you, Lidia.

**ANDREA SAKS:** No, it was Andrea.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Thank you, Andrea. Deirdre?

**DEIRDRE WILLIAMS:** Yes. I'm very happy to support Muhammad, but it seems to me that in a space where you have a great many people who are busy with a great many things, it's a good idea to have two people, rather than one person, to have a backup for each important position.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Thank you.

**DEIRDRE WILLIAMS:** So you have two coordinators, rather than one leader.

**ANDREA SAKS:** Deirdre, can I come in on this for a second and say something about the order of how you run meetings and stuff? Because there's confusion. Is that all right?

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Andrea, can I stop you for a while?

**ANDREA SAKS:** Sure.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Before you comment, Andrea and sorry for stopping you thank you very much, Judith, for nominating me and Andrea for seconding her. I have two points. One, I, with appreciation and gratefulness, accept the nomination. Second, and most important, before we move forward, are there any other persons who want to nominate someone else or nominate themselves?

**ANDREA SAKS:** You're it, kid!

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Well, this seems

**LIDIA BEST:** This is Lidia speaking. You are very welcome to this job.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Oh, great. So, it seems to be unanimous. Shabbir, do you have anything else to say?

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Yes. Before I do, I want to give now a chance to Andrea, because I, with difficulty, interrupted her. Andrea, please go ahead.

**ANDREA SAKS:** Okay. I wanted to comment to Deirdre, because Deirdre has a very valid point. If somebody cannot do the job, we usually have somebody who is a Vice Chair. This is a temporary situation, and we can always add a Vice Chair, but this is

first just to get the ball rolling. So, one, the point is valid. Deirdre is correct. For instance, if it was impossible for Shabbir to run the meeting, there is a Vice Chair.

I think this should be opened up to a wider group to be able to get Vice Chairs from the mailing list as well, and that we're just starting we only have an hour, correct? We just want to get the ball rolling.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Right.

**ANDREA SAKS:** And if the group agrees that we should have a Vice Chair so that, in the event that Shabbir cannot lead a meeting or that there is another reason why we need to have a second in command, that that could be done. If Deirdre wants to add to that, I don't know.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** I was going to if I can also comment on here. We had thought about that, but what we were going to think about was, in having a second in command, was we were going to have the second in command be like could it be the co coordinator, but it also could be a technical advisor or policy advisor, another working person, what we could call that. And I'm happy to be that second call coordinator or policy technical advisor in that role.

**ANDREA SAKS:** Um, in

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Andrea, please go ahead.

**ANDREA SAKS:** By the way, Shabbir, can I just come in on that? There's two issues here.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Yes.

**ANDREA SAKS:** One, one is just to do the meetings and to do the coordination. The other policy thing is a separate thing altogether, and it's very possible, Judith, that if you take that position on and the group agrees, that it might be given to you under certain circumstances, but you're getting into complications.

What the goal was today was to get a Chairman and to get a Coordinator who would do like, actually, you've been doing the job, to be very blunt, and very well indeed, who does a lot of the donkey work to get the documents out, to keep track of what's going on. And it certainly could be the same person, but that has to be put before the group. Just to be clear so everybody understands what the procedure should be. You really want to do it, Judith, and put yourself out there. It'd be great. It's a lot of work.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** I would do it jointly with Shabbir, and that's how we would do our tag team, and then we would also recruit others, like we just recruited Lidia for the Governance, and others for other aspects of it.

**LIDIA BEST:** Can I say something?

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Yes, Lidia.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Yes.

**LIDIA BEST:** The problem is, the agenda does not mention anything else, only the coordinator, one person. So, I think the best way forward is to create the governance document we want, specifying exactly what we're discussing right now. That should be part of our working group and developing the text, the co joined responsibilities and things like that. And then, I'm more than sure, Deirdre, you are excellent. It's just for now we don't have it in the agenda and we do not have it in our governance documents.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Shabbir?

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Yes, Lidia, you and Andrea, I have heard all of the comments, and I think these comments are very valid, and they need very deep consideration. Judith, though it seems like you are not getting the position of Co coordinator, but certainly, you are not getting rid of me so easily. I would definitely want to keep you and your support as a technical advisor or sort of thing, because this is something that you have been doing a lot. You set up the meeting, you set up the captioning and all that stuff for me. I alone would not be able to do that.

On the part of [redacted] on the position of Vice Chair, I agree that there should be a position. But the current state of affairs with DCAD, as you all see now, is that we totally have 11 or 10 people connected to this call, though this is a very initial call set up after a very long time, and it would need some time for the people to get used to these calls and come and join us and participate in these kinds of discussions. It would take some time and energy on the part of myself, since I am being delegated the responsibility of the coordinator now. So, I would definitely need Judith's support on that.

And if there is a position of Vice Chair, I would want [redacted] of course, it would be up to Judith. It's a democratic society. But I would be more happy that instead of Vice Chair position, Judith works with me in a position which is in a formal or an informal way. I also ask the Governance group, which is working under the leadership of Lidia Best, that to see that how best we can formalize Judith's position into that.

Certainly, this could be in a position of Vice Chair, but her responsibilities would be more, because in these kinds of situations, what happens is that the Vice Chair actually starts functioning in place of Chair if he or she is not able to perform his or her duties. But the role that I am looking for, for Judith in the DCAD is much larger and broader than a Vice Chair would usually perform.

I think there were some comments in the chat? Judith, can you read that?

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Yeah, no

**ANDREA SAKS:** Deirdre has her hand up.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Deirdre and Derrick is after Deirdre.

**DEIRDRE WILLIAMS:** So, to be quite clear, the leader that you are looking for in the agenda is a temporary coordinator while we get DCAD's act together

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** No.

**DEIRDRE WILLIAMS:** And the actual administrative structure of DCAD is going to be decided by the Governance document, which will then be sent back to everybody

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** No. Deirdre, that was not the case. Deirdre, we are deciding the structure now

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Give me just a second. Judith. So, let me give my idea first.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Sure.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** So, this Governance group, who would be drafting the first governance document of DCAD, would also be deciding the term of the leader. My proposal there would be that if I am elected as the leader of this group now, this should go at least for the current IGF session, which would be in Kyoto in November this year. It could be ten months or a year. This could be defined in the Governance

document that first term would be until then. And after that, what would be the mechanism to elect the next coordinator. This is my proposal.

If the group agrees to that, we can move forward with the agenda. And I suppose if we need in between the time, if we feel that we need a of course, we do need a Vice Chair. But certainly, we need more participation by the members first, before we start assigning different positions to different people. Comments.

**ANDREA SAKS:** I've got my hand up.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Yes, but Andrea, are you commenting directly on this? Because remember, we have Lidia and then Derrick.

**ANDREA SAKS:** Nobody's using the hand raising

**DERRICK COGBURN:** My hand was up for

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Derrick was next.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Andrea, if you allow me, Judith announced Derrick after Lidia. So, Derrick, can you please go?

**DERRICK COGBURN:** Yes, thank you. I will. Just a few comments. This seems to me that we are in a situation where a group of people have tried to reinvigorate this important organization. So, I think I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for Judith. And so, I would appreciate recognizing her role in the re energizing this initiative, and I would suggest, if the idea is not to be a Vice Chair but to be a co chair, that's what many other organizations have done is to have a Co chair role or whatever co coordinator I think is what some DCADs and caucuses used to call it. So, two coordinators, co coordinators I think would be a fantastic way to move

forward, for whatever time period, whether it's the next year or ten months, until there is some new structure that we move into.

I don't see why somebody would have to volunteer their time and effort and not be recognized for that, and I would suggest that we solidify that today by having Judith in a co coordinator role and we move forward with everything else that needs to be done to make this a success.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Thanks, Derrick. This solves our, I believe, one of our problems. Andrea, do you want to go now?

**ANDREA SAKS:** Yep, yep. I was going to say, I support that, because [redacted] and I concur with Derrick, because it was Judith. Because I was working [redacted] Judith and I were talking long before, and it was Judith that came to me, and we started this motion. She's done all the donkey work.

And what I think is that if Shabbir would like to have [redacted] because we've just said, okay, you're going to be [redacted] can we get the terms right? The Chair of DCAD. That we have a Co chair who also has the job of Coordinator, so we have the terminology. Because we're flipping back from Chair to Coordinator, to whatever. Usually, the terminology, we have a Chair of the group, a Vice Chair of the group, but we can certainly have a Co chair, and then we have a Vice Chair. Because Vice Chairs can also do donkey work. O, the structure is going to be defined where this might be decided on a more complicated [redacted] or not complicated [redacted] more defined basis as what Lidia's going to be working on, if I'm not mistaken. So, for this meeting, I think I'd like to make a proposal that if Shabbir is in agreement, that we do have Judith as a Co chair and that we have established at the moment Shabbir as a Chair, and we use those normal terms.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Sure.



**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** More than happy to accept that. Thank you, Andrea, for saying so, because sub nominating me I didn't like that, that Judith, she's doing much more important job than to be assigned as a Vice Chair of a group. So, thanks very much, Derrick, for coming up with the idea of Co chair. I think we can if the group is on the agreement, if the group agrees, so we can have Judith as a co chair. Any objections in.

**LIDIA BEST:** None from me. Exactly what I was asking to bring in, so, thank you very much

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** So, Judith, you are drafted!

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Okay. I accept. I accept. Thank you, Derrick, for the hand raisings. We could, if the captioner's available, we could extend the call by 15 minutes.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Ellen says that's fine.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** So, that's good. Any other comments on this part?

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Lidia and her group, when they come up with a draft document, this would make things much clearer.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Right. Shabbir, we do have a pressing issue right now. We need to discuss the Annual Report that we have to write to remain an active

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Yes. I actually was coming to that part of our agenda. So, we have under Any Other Business, two points. We have Code of Conduct document and Annual Report. What I will do is I will shuffle with the agenda. We

had, in the agenda document, we had the annual reporting as last part, but we want to discuss it now, I believe.

And Judith, as I said in my earlier email as well, that 5 March is the last date for the Dynamic Coalitions to send in their reports. If they don't, their status would not remain as active Dynamic Coalitions. They would be dropped from that status. So, we want to maintain our status. This is the issue of life and death. So, Judith has already started working on this report.

For this year, it is going to be a very short report, mentioning a couple of activities. Judith, do you want to do the honors of telling this audience what are those activities?

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Sure. I already drafted a prereport based on those activities, which I'm sharing now. Hopefully, people can see it. It basically talks about our two activities that we did do in 2022, even though we were organizing.

One was, we help people with        we continued our support to the Secretariat on accessibility issues by sending tips for how to hold an accessible meeting. We had prepared a sheet a few years ago for that, and we sent it again out to the Secretariat and to different other groups on there.

We also, early on, did work with the        in early 2022, IGF was having the Experts Group meeting, an outside experts group, and they selected people, and we worked        DCAD, mostly me, had worked with the NRIs and with the        the NRIs are national regional initiatives. They are the national IGFs or regional IGFs. And they have a very active group, and we've been working with them.

And so, we talked about accessibility issues on their call and we had them also they, several of them offered, who were going, to be our shepherds        not our shepherds, but to bring up accessibility issues at the meeting. And so, we rode up, some of us        I think it was Gunela, myself, and someone else, I think maybe just

Gunela and myself, wrote up some points, accessibility points, to add to their agenda, which they tried to bring out. They weren't very successful, but they tried. So, that's one of our work that we did this year in 2022.

Working with the NRIs and working with the DCAD Coordinating Group, the Dynamic Coalitions Coordinating Group. So, that's one main activity we did.

And the other one was helping with the IGF. So, that's what I thought of for this year and I'm prepared to shore up one page

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Thank you, Judith, for this summarization of the report. We will share this report today or tomorrow on the mailing list for the comments. So, if you want to say something now, the floor is open. Otherwise, you can comment otherwise.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Andrea, yes.

**ANDREA SAKS:** Oh, thanks. I think whatever you do will be fine. What you can do in the future, because we are up against it what you can do in the future is you can always change something later by consensus and a meeting. So, the point is, the real issue is to get it in, the best you can, so that we are safe. And then we can always refine it if there should be an issue or an addition later. That would be what I would like to propose. Thank you.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Thank you, Andrea. Any other comments?

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Derrick?

**DERRICK COGBURN:** I wanted to echo what Andrea just said. I think that's the right strategy just to allow us to move forward. Great suggestion.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Thanks, Derrick.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Any other ones? Because I can't really see hands raised as well when I'm sharing.

**ANDREA SAKS:** I don't like Zoom!

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Yes, I know.

**DERRICK COGBURN:** No, no, no, it is so good. What you have to do is click on the Participant tab, Judith. It opens up all the list of participants, and then you'll see any hands and you'll see the order in which they're raised. So, we just have to make sure we use it appropriately. It's an incredibly useful tool compared to the other conferencing platforms.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Yes, it did open up as a separate tab, so it works.

**DERRICK COGBURN:** You'll see it. So, let me raise my hand and you'll see my hand is raised. You see it both on screen and on the Participant list.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Yes, okay. Thanks.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Yes. So, I think we have a fine strategy out there for the annual reporting. Another thing that we have on the agenda is the Code of Conduct document. The IGF already has a document for the Dynamic Coalitions Code of Conduct. We can use that document as a draft as well and see that if we want to make some other additions into that document or modifications. Language sensitization would be one of the key ideas that I would want to see in that

document, appropriate language, use of appropriate language while communicating either through meetings or on emails is a very important point. And that document should carry that point.

Any person from this group who could volunteer to lead this Governance document, Code of Conduct document for DCAD?

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** I could

**LIDIA BEST:** This is Lidia. I have my hand up.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Yes.

**LIDIA BEST:** Can I suggest for it would be a little bit easier way of working, the same group which is working on the Governance can develop the Code of Conduct.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Yes.

**LIDIA BEST:** It's going to be simpler, easier. Let's move. Thank you.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Yeah.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Okay, so, Lidia, you want to take up this document, too. Okay. I am the happiest person at this hour now because this solves another problem as well. So, thank you so much for offering this, and this goes to you as well.

**ANDREA SAKS:** Lidia, I'll help you on that as well, as long as you're in control of it.

**LIDIA BEST:** Thank you very much.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** And as I said, I will help out. We went through this whole process at the IGF USA. I don't know if Derrick remembers this. Several years ago, we had a problem person and we worked to create a very excellent Code of Conduct that I think can be easily shared with you, and we can adopt that, along with the DCAD one, for this list. Andrea?

**ANDREA SAKS:** Can we do one thing

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Yes, Andrea.

**ANDREA SAKS:** Can we make (?) agenda.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Yes.

**ANDREA SAKS:** Because the kiss method works. You get too many rules in there and it's a nightmare. And I think I'm going to take back what I said to you, Lidia, and Shabbir, the other night, when you said people should be kind to each other, and I went you know, I was more into the rights of having disability inclusion. So, but on this case, I think that is the actual right viewpoint. We have to be kind to each other and help. So, that was what I wanted to say. So, that's it.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Shabbir, you were saying something?

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Yes. Thank you, Andrea and everyone, for these great suggestions. I think we have a great strategy to move forward.

**DERRICK COGBURN:** Just before you leave this point, I have my hand up as well, if we're going to use the hands.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Yes, Derrick, please.

**DERRICK COGBURN:** So, I work with the Online Ethics Center, [onlineethics.org](http://onlineethics.org). And there's a collection of these kinds of statements that we could draw from. If I can find it quickly, I'll send it to the team.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Great!

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Yes. I will, Lidia, also send you the Code of Conduct, and I now present email I've used a third server because the first two were not working, and the third one seems to work, so. But, yes. I don't know what's wrong with the other two servers, but that's not the point. And I will send you the IGF USA document, and those ones will be good. And I also have a link to the other ones because Jolly shared that with me, where the other one is easily found. And it's sent out to all new DCAD members. Jolly has a really great introductory email that's sent to all new members.

**LIDIA BEST:** Can I suggest? We need to do it as simple as possible.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Right.

**LIDIA BEST:** For everyone, not to complicate it. So, I also look forward to Derrick contributing and supporting us, since you are excellent in this role. So, thank you so much. I will be just delegating.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Yes. Last point before we move forward with our agenda. I would echo what earlier speakers have said, that keep it as simple as possible.

But also keep in mind that you need to keep a sort of mechanism and dispute or complaint resolution mechanism in that Code of Conduct or Governance document; that if someone feels like that they are being this Code of Conduct document should be applied to some situations, how those situations will be dealt with. This should be the part of Code of Conduct document.

I am sure of the competence of this group that it can come up with really workable solutions. We are running against time. I have actually a point that I wanted to discuss with this group, but before I do that, one of our contributors to this coalition, Dynamic Coalition on Accessibility and Disability, Jerry Ellis and we all know him very well lately, he has not been very well. I think Andrea has some more details to share with us. So, Andrea, can you update us on his health? How is he now?

**ANDREA SAKS:** What I dug up I went into the archives. I did send out the Dynamic Coalition, the first one that was read. If it didn't make it I'll go dig it up again. But all the stuff that we wrote, we actually wrote it with G3ict. So, I can dig all that up and send it to I can either send it to the group or I can work directly with Lidia on that, and when we have something more complete, then it goes out, rather than flood everybody with the pieces. What do you think of that?

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Yeah.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** I would recommend sending both documents to so, since Judith is part of that group, just for a second opinion, if you can send that document to me, I can have a look at that before sending to the whole group.

**ANDREA SAKS:** Okay, can you do me a favor? There are two documents. Which document do you want?

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** I totally agree that we should not send pieces to the group. We should send documents. So, I can look at both the documents. So, you are



working this group is working on two documents, the Governance document for Dynamic Coalition on Accessibility and the Code of Conduct document.

If you want to make Code of Conduct document a part of the Governance document as well, I leave this decision to the group. You can do that, but it would be easier if we keep these two as separate documents, in my consideration.

**ANDREA SAKS:** Andy's asked me a question. Forgive me for jumping in. We didn't have a Code of Conduct in the early days. What we did have was a complete list of what we should be doing, how things should be do. It was an accessibility guideline. That's really all that was done. It was updated several times. That later became incorporated into all of ITU's standards and recommendations. So, I'm not sure kind of what to send you. If you want the early, original one, but there wasn't a "Code of Conduct."

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Andrea, can I quickly say

**ANDY HEATH:** (Inaudible).

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Andy, I want to give you a chance because you have been

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Yes.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** All of us have been speaking a lot. You have been silent. So, please, go ahead.

**ANDY HEATH:** No, you misinterpreted me, Andrea. I have clarified. I meant about Gerry Ellis, what the situation was.

**ANDREA SAKS:** Oh, oh, okay! I will tell you what's going on with Gerry Ellis. Thank you.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** But

**ANDREA SAKS:** But when Shabbir tells me I can do it. I will quickly tell you.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Actually, I did. Actually, I did.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Shabbir did.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Andrea, go ahead.

**ANDREA SAKS:** Okay, great. I talked to Patty, who is Gerry Ellis's eyes this morning. He called me. It's not good, kids. He is still there, but he is not cognizant. The tumor has taken over his ability to communicate. He's been put on several kinds of drugs to make him comfortable, and they do not expect him to live, but they have no idea how long he will survive. So, we really, unfortunately, will lose him eventually. That's what I was told this morning.

I was wondering if we would like to send Sandra, his wife, a message of support of some kind. If you want to do it individually, send me the emails, I'll send them to Patty. Patty is the fielding agent for Sandra. And she thought it would be easier if I fielded whatever you guys wanted to say to Sandra Ellis and his family, and then I will send them on and then report back. But I'm sorry, he's not going to make it, kids, from what I was told this morning.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** That's very sad news, indeed.

**ANDY HEATH:** That is. Thank you for explaining, Andrea.

**ANDREA SAKS:** Well, it's very upsetting, because one of the but I do have a funny. A sad funny. We went in to see Gerry, and he said, "Andrea's waiting in the wings outside. She wants to have a fight with you! You'd better get better!" And it we used to always argue, like mad. And I wish to God I could go over there and argue with him and tell him to get out of that God damn bed, but obviously, that's not going to happen.

If you want to know exactly what's wrong with him, what I know, I'm happy to do it privately with you by email, but I really don't think it matters. We don't know if he'll be here for one week or two months.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Yes, thank you, Andrea, for this update, and it's really an unfortunate news, though we all know that ultimately this is going to be all of our fate, to see a person in front of us who has been so dear to us in such a state is very sad. And as a collective Dynamic Coalition on Accessibility and Disability, if you can kindly pass our message of support to his family, that we are thinking of them and we understand that these are difficult times for the family. So, we are with them.

If someone wants to follow it up with individual messages, they can do, but I think the appropriate thing would be for Andrea to send a collective message of support from Dynamic Coalition on Accessibility and Disability to the family.

**ANDREA SAKS:** Okay, will do. If you want to do something individual, go ahead and send it to me. Your email will be there and I'll send it to Patty and Patty will give it to Sandra at the appropriate time. But it's a very delicate situation.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** So, guys, we only have two minutes left. Any last comments, thoughts, questions, issues?

**DERRICK COGBURN:** I have something for the good of the order. This summer, in June, 10th and 11th, right before the ICANN meeting here in Washington, we are hosting the North American School of Internet Governance at American University, and I am co chairing it, and I have developed a theme on inclusion and accessibility, accessibility and inclusion. And I'll put a link in the chat box here.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Yes.

**DERRICK COGBURN:** We would very much like there to be some participation from the DCAD, if possible, physically or virtually. For young people, there are fellowships available to actually participate and get a certificate from participating in the summer school.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Or to travel.

**DERRICK COGBURN:** And for travel, thank you, Judith. So, I would love for anybody who's interested to let me know and I can probably still find you spots on the program.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Yes, I am

**DERRICK COGBURN:** For young people, that would be great to let them get a fellowship.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** I'm supposed to be speaking on a panel with Greg on accessibility.

**DERRICK COGBURN:** Okay.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** I'm not there yet because I

**DERRICK COGBURN:** I was going to say, I must have missed that! I started

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** No, no, it was planned, but I wasn't sure when it would happen, and Glen is putting me on the schedule. He went to Alfredo

**DERRICK COGBURN:** I'm going to add you right now. I'll

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Yes, thank you very much, Derrick, for this offer, and I would definitely say that Dynamic Coalition on Accessibility and Disability would definitely want to be participating in this very important School on Internet Governance. These Schools on Internet Governance are the grassroots, and the first way for people, even I came through this world in a school on Internet governance, so these are very important. Thank you all very much for this call and initiative. Gentlemen, we are up with our time. Thank you very much for all of you who joined us today in this call. We will share the recording with you. Thank you to the captioners, Caption First, and particularly to Ellen, for staying with us. And for doing a very wonderful captioning. Thank you very much.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Thanks. She says she's welcome. Lidia, I texted you.

**DERRICK COGBURN:** Bye, everybody!

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** The links. Because I wanted to make sure that you got them.

**ANDREA SAKS:** By the way, three cheers for Judith and Shabbir! They basically pulled this out of the grave.

**DERRICK COGBURN:** Well said, Andrea! (Laughing).

**LIDIA BEST:** Well done, guys! And I will start working this weekend.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Great.

**DERRICK COGBURN:** All right.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** And I also will share we can share on a DCAD list the call for the fellowships thing that Derrick was mentioning, because I have multiple copies from Glen.

**DERRICK COGBURN:** Excellent.

**ANDREA SAKS:** I will send the captioning bit that you have said, Shabbir. I will copy it and send it to Patty to give to Sandra so she can read it to Gerry. He may get it, he may not, but thank you very much for a nice speech, Shabbir. That will go straight to Ireland.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Great. We really hope so, and I hope to be drinking pints of cider with him in the future.

**ANDREA SAKS:** I'm afraid you have to hope very hard, Judith.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Yes.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Yes.

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** But anyway.

**MUHAMMAD SHABBIR:** Yes. I think we should let the captioner go as well, and it's 15 past 10:00 in the night for me. This calls for a good night.

**ANDREA SAKS:** Thank you! Thank you, Ellen!

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Thanks!

**ANDREA SAKS:** Thank you, Shabbir, thank you, Derrick! Thank you, everybody!

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** And we are all waving good bye to you!

**ANDREA SAKS:** Bye! Oh, and bye bye, Andy!

**ANDY HEATH:** Bye bye! See ya!

**JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:** Yes. And we also have the robot assistant who is taking copious notes. And I will add in the links to the Governance and all that stuff into the notes there.

**ANDREA SAKS:** Okay. Judith, we're being bad! We're the last two on, except for Deirdre. Thank you, Deirdre! Bye!